Submarine Force Museum Home of Historic Ship Nautilus
Current status and hours on Facebook Including Weather Closings and Events!
Teacher's Guide: The History of Submarine Force Museum
The Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics Corporation in Groton, Connecticut, founded the Submarine Library in 1955. The library collected books, photographs, and a wide range of artifacts from employees who had served as submariners in World War II.
By 1964, E.B. had run out of space for the ever-expanding collection and so donated it to the U.S. Navy, which moved it to a building on Submarine Base New London. But within 20 years it became clear that even that space was not large enough. In 1986, the Submarine Force Library and Museum was moved to its current location adjacent to the base. An addition to the original museum building was opened in 2000.
The 27,000-square-foot facility maintains the world’s finest collection of submarine artifacts. It is the only submarine museum operated by the United States Navy, and as such is the primary repository for artifacts, documents, and photographs relating to U.S. Submarine Force history. The Museum traces the development of the "Silent Service" from David Bushnell’s Turtle, used in the Revolutionary War, to the nuclear-powered subs of today.
- The History of USS/Historic Ship NAUTILUS (SSN-571)
- The History of the Submarine Force Museum
- Outside Exhibits
- Midget Submarines
- Indoor Exhibits
- Technology Wing
- Main Hall
- Medal of Honor Gallery
- Torpedoes and Other Armaments
- Large-Scale Exhibits
- Wall Murals
- Historic Ship Nautilus Tour Frequently Asked Questions and Locations
- Download the Guide in PDF Format (2.2MB)